Neighborhood Housing Services of Greater Cleveland is participating in a nationwide partnership to help families struggling with their mortgage payments apply for help from the Federal government’s Making Home Affordable Program – a key part of the Obama Administration’s efforts to help families avoid foreclosure and strengthen the housing market recovery.
Homeowners struggling with their mortgage payments often delay reaching out for help because they feel overwhelmed and unsure of where to turn for help. Many homeowners have expressed difficulties working with their mortgage company to submit the documents required to apply for help, which has postponed getting them the help they need. Unfortunately, some homeowners have paid to get help only to discover that they have become the victim of a scam.
Making Home Affordable (MHA) is designed to help you get mortgage help and avoid foreclosure. There is real help available. Get started today. Contact NHS of Greater Cleveland at 216.458.4663 to understand your options if you are facing foreclosure.
LEARN ABOUT YOUR OPTIONS
There are a variety of MHA® programs that may help homeowners having difficulty making mortgage payments, including;
- Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) that may lower your monthly mortgage payments in order to make them more affordable and sustainable for the long-term.
- Home Affordable Unemployment Program (UP) reduces or suspends your monthly mortgage payment, giving you some much needed breathing room while you search for your next job.
- Principal Reduction Modification Program (PRMA) which was designed to help you by encouraging mortgage servicers and investors to reduce the amount you owe on your home.
- Second Lien Modification Program (2MP) that works in tandem with HAMP to provide comprehensive solutions for homeowners with second mortgages to increase long-term affordability and sustainability.
- Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP) that may help you refinance if you're not behind on your mortgage payments but have been unable to get traditional refinancing because the value of your home has declined.
Find out which MHA® programs best address your situation by visiting Making Home Affordable.
Tips for Homeowners
As part of this nationwide effort to help families apply for mortgage aid, NHS of Greater Cleveland offers these tips for homeowners struggling with their monthly mortgage payments:
- Homeowners should remember that they do not need to navigate through their mortgage difficulties alone. Homeowners can always work with a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, like NHS of Greater Cleveland, free-of-charge to get help understanding their options and applying for assistance. Research shows that homeowners who work with a housing counselor are more likely to receive the assistance for which they are eligible.
- Homeowners should not delay reaching out for help if they are struggling with their mortgage payments. There are more options available today to help families avoid foreclosure than ever before. The Federal government’s Making Home Affordable Program is the first step for many families to access the help they need.
- There is never a fee to apply for help. Homeowners should beware of anyone who asks them to pay a fee for counseling services or for a mortgage modification. Visit our page on Rescue Scams.