What is foreclosure?
Foreclosure is the process a lender or servicer uses to repossess your home. Once you receive notice that your lender or servicer has filed a mortgage foreclosure lawsuit, you could lose your home in 3-6 months. Immediate action on your part may prevent foreclosure.
- Open your mail. You will receive important information from the courts that you need in order to resolve your situation.
- Don't wait. Taking action sooner means more options for you. If you do nothing, you will lose your home.
- Contact your mortgage lender or servicer. As soon as you receive the notice from the court, reach out! Explain your circumstances and you may be able to work out a repayment/loss mitigation plan to avoid foreclosure.
- Do NOT move out of your home. It is important that your home remain owner-occupied, as well as in good condition, both inside and out until the sheriff informs you that you have to vacate the home.
- Get help! Contact NHS of Greater Cleveland's HUD-approved financial counselors at 216.458.HOME (4663) to understand your options if you are facing foreclosure; all for FREE. Your local bar association may have resources available as well.
- Beware of scams! There are many individuals who will try to take advantage of your financial situation. Some may attempt to take ownership of your home or charge you fees for services that are available for free.
Advice for Avoiding Foreclosure
NHS of Greater Cleveland has partnerships with numerous programs and offers many services to preserve the American Dream of homeownership. to be effective and successful, homeowners need to do two things:
- Know whether or not they want to keep their Home
- Pick up the phone and call the NHS of Greater Cleveland offices at 216.458.HOME (4663) - we serve Cuyahoga, Erie, Huron, Lorain, and Medina counties.
No one should ever pay a third party to intervene on their behalf to prevent foreclosure. NHS of Greater Cleveland, as well as a host of other agencies across the state and throughout the country provide free, unbiased, and accessible programs and services to prevent foreclosure.
Contact NHS of Greater Cleveland to learn how we can help you keep your Home.